These yummy wholesome muffins are citrus-y, moist and light and come with considerably less guilt than your average citrus poppyseed muffin . . .being lower in fat and sugar, and higher in dietary fibre.
Apple, orange & lemon poppyseed muffins
As this recipe uses the whole fruit, skin and all . . . I'd recommend you try to use an organic apple, orange and lemon for this recipe if possible, or at least wash the fruit thoroughly with a fruit and vegetable wash. Virtually nothing goes to waste in this recipe! These will be great for the school lunch box. . .
1 whole apple (I used Pink Lady)
1 whole medium orange or tangelo
zest of 1 lemon (plus juice for icing)
2 large eggs
30g coconut oil, melted if solid (or use melted butter)
50g natural yoghurt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarb
120g white spelt flour
120g wholemeal spelt flour
100g sucanat (rapadura) sugar or raw sugar
1-2 tbsp poppyseeds
- Preheat oven to 170°C and prepare a 12-hole muffin pan.
- Peel the zest from the lemon and add to the TM bowl and grind for 30 seconds on speed 9, decant and set aside.
- Core and quarter one apple. Add to the TM bowl and chop for 10 seconds on speed 4. Scrape down the sides.
- Add 20g water and cook for 8 minutes at 100°C on speed 1. MC lid off.
- Cut a whole orange into quarters. Remove the stem piece and slice down the centre of each wedge to remove the white pith and any obvious pips. Add to the TM bowl and blend on speed 7 for 10 seconds.
- Return the lemon zest to the TM bowl. Add the eggs, coconut oil and natural yoghurt. Mix on speed 8 for 10 seconds until well combined.
- Add baking powder, bicarb, flours, sucanat and poppyseeds and mix for about 8 seconds on reverse speed 4 until mixture just comes together. Do not over-mix.
- Spoon the muffin mixture into prepared muffin holes filling each to the top, and place in preheated oven to bake for about 12-15 minutes or until golden and a skewer comes out clean. Makes 12.
- Juice the zested lemon and make a lemon icing to drizzle over the muffins as pictured (100g icing sugar + 1-2 tbsp lemon juice), or enjoy without to avoid the extra sugar. My girls had fun icing them :-)
- grate lemon zest using a grater, cook up chopped apple on a stovetop or in the microwave. Use a blender or food processor to blend the orange before combining with the remaining ingredients.